Taking the burden from the family after fire in elderly father’s bungalow

Location Shropshire

Customer Steve Davies, fire victim's son

Steve Davies has a responsibility which many people face these days: trying to care for an elderly parent who lives many miles away. He lives in Nottinghamshire, but his father, who is in his 90s, lives almost three hours’ drive away in Shropshire.

Mr Davies senior always tries to be independent and cope by himself. But when his bungalow was badly damaged after a chip pan fire, it was soon apparent that he would not be able to handle making the insurance claim. There was the added complication that he was under-insured: according to his son, “he had been with the same insurer for 62 years and just renewed his policy every year, but the insurer never thought to suggest that he increased the cover”.

The damage to the house was extensive: the kitchen and dining room, as well as part of the roof, were destroyed and there was further damage from both smoke and the firefighters’ water hoses. Mr Davies’ son realised that dealing with the claim from three hours away was simply not possible, so after meeting with their representatives and discussing the enormity of what he faced, he appointed loss assessors Morgan Clark to handle the claim.

The claim

The negotiations with the insurance company were particularly difficult as Mr Davies was under-insured, but through careful use of surveyors and tight project management, as well as a reduced scope-of-works, the final settlement of £101,000 was sufficient to restore the bungalow. The house was uninhabitable during the restoration, but fortunately Mr Davies was able to move in with a friend which meant there was no need to include alternative accommodation costs in the insurance claim.

The builders brought in by Morgan Clark were particularly good. According to Steve Davies, “They turned out to be absolutely excellent and were the most considerate and thoughtful builders I have ever had.

“Morgan Clark gave us peace of mind. Pino Musso from Morgan Clark always gave us the impression that he was completely on our side and working in our best interests. He and his colleagues were a big help and a steadying influence, a source of good advice and made us feel we were not on our own. I would definitely recommend them to anyone in a similar position, particularly for older people who simply can’t cope.”

More Case Studies


Fire damage in thatched cottage

"Mr and Mrs Hampshire suffered a fire at their thatched cottage, which started in the middle of the night when the family were asleep. The accidental fire was caused by a lighter being ignited, which resulted in blankets and pillows catching fire and ..."

Read more


Flooded bakery in Kendal: £100,000 insurance claim for machinery, st...

"Ginger Bakers is a very successful specialist cake producer based in Kendal, Cumbria, supplying commercial outlets across the country. When Storm Desmond wreaked havoc across the north of England in December 2015, the bakery’s leased premises were ..."

Read more


Flooding at kitchen worktop manufacturer: £1.2 million claim

"Stoneworld is a very successful manufacturer of quartz and granite kitchen worktops, importing expensive materials from across the world and using sophisticated precision cutting machinery. Based in Kendal, Cumbria, it distributes its high-end produc..."

Read more


Using Morgan Clark a second time for flood insurance claim

"When the river Eden flooded in Carlisle in 2005, water poured through David Allen’s substantial five-bedroomed semi-detached home. There was extensive damage throughout the downstairs which was likely to result in an insurance claim of around £100..."

Read more


Flooding – £630,000 business interruption claim

"In 2007, the town of Doncaster was hit by two floods in very quick succession. A large trading estate was very badly affected, including a successful steel processing and stockholding company. Three of its industrial units on the estate were contamin..."

Read more

South Wales

Residential college fire – £1.5m buildings and contents claim

"When an electrical fault caused a major fire at the UWC Atlantic College in South Wales, one of the school’s boarding houses was almost completely destroyed. The College’s immediate priority was to re-house the 52 students who lived there, so it ..."

Read more