Gas explosion- £108,000 buildings claim

Location Manchester

Customer Mr Smith

Peter Smith had recently had a new gas boiler fitted in his house in Manchester. One morning he came downstairs to cook breakfast and, when he lit one of the rings on the cooker, there was a massive explosion. He was thrown with huge force against the kitchen wall, and the house was engulfed in flames. Luckily he was rescued but he spent the next six months in hospital recovering from his severe injuries.

As well as fire damage, the house suffered a significant amount of structural damage. Mr Smith’s brother George took on responsibility for the insurance claim but “we knew we couldn’t attempt to cope with it alone: we didn’t know what to do.” When they met one of Morgan Clark’s loss assessors, “we could sense immediately that we were putting our case in the hands of the right people”.

The claim

From that point, Morgan Clark managed everything. They liaised with all parties involved including handling all negotiations with the insurer’s loss adjuster. They oversaw the complete rebuilding of the house: they brought in specialist surveyors and structural engineers to survey the damage and produce detailed plans and specifications; and recommended expert building contractors who specialise in insurance re-instatements.

The results

Over the six months that Peter Smith was in hospital, the claim progressed and work continued on the house. George was very keen that the re-instatement work was completed by the time Peter left hospital, and Morgan Clark ensured this happened. Peter could therefore be taken to see the house straight after he was discharged, and he was incredibly moved by the standard of the restoration.

The overall settlement negotiated with the insurance company for re-instating the house was approximately £108,000. George and his wife were kept up-to-date with progress throughout the project, and were able to select the kitchen and bathroom fittings as well choosing how the house was decorated. According to George, “we didn’t have any work to do or any worries. Morgan Clark were absolutely brilliant and the job they did was wonderful. Peter is thrilled to bits with the house.” Peter is now happily back in his home.

More Case Studies

Cambridge

Fire damage in thatched cottage

"Mr and Mrs Hampshire suffered a fire at their thatched cottage, which started in the middle of the night when the family were asleep. The accidental fire was caused by a lighter being ignited, which resulted in blankets and pillows catching fire and ..."

Read more

Cumbria

Flooded bakery in Kendal: £100,000 insurance claim for machinery, st...

"Ginger Bakers is a very successful specialist cake producer based in Kendal, Cumbria, supplying commercial outlets across the country. When Storm Desmond wreaked havoc across the north of England in December 2015, the bakery’s leased premises were ..."

Read more

Cumbria

Flooding at kitchen worktop manufacturer: £1.2 million claim

"Stoneworld is a very successful manufacturer of quartz and granite kitchen worktops, importing expensive materials from across the world and using sophisticated precision cutting machinery. Based in Kendal, Cumbria, it distributes its high-end produc..."

Read more

Carlisle

Using Morgan Clark a second time for flood insurance claim

"When the river Eden flooded in Carlisle in 2005, water poured through David Allen’s substantial five-bedroomed semi-detached home. There was extensive damage throughout the downstairs which was likely to result in an insurance claim of around £100..."

Read more

Doncaster

Flooding – £630,000 business interruption claim

"In 2007, the town of Doncaster was hit by two floods in very quick succession. A large trading estate was very badly affected, including a successful steel processing and stockholding company. Three of its industrial units on the estate were contamin..."

Read more

South Wales

Residential college fire – £1.5m buildings and contents claim

"When an electrical fault caused a major fire at the UWC Atlantic College in South Wales, one of the school’s boarding houses was almost completely destroyed. The College’s immediate priority was to re-house the 52 students who lived there, so it ..."

Read more