Fire in three-bedroomed house – £16,000 claim

Location Lancashire

Customer Miss Fisher

Miss Fisher’s brother, who has learning difficulties, was living alone in her three-bedroom semi-detached property in Preston. One evening while he was smoking in the bedroom, he accidentally set fire to the house.

The damage to the first floor was extensive, with the bedroom and bathroom gutted including a hole in the floor where the bath had melted. The rest of the house was substantially damaged by smoke.

The claim

Miss Fisher had no experience of making insurance claims and was nervous at the prospect. She had been profoundly shocked by the accident and was caring for her brother who had suffered serious smoke inhalation. When she was approached by Morgan Clark, she realised there was help available.  After discussing her options with them, she decided to hand over the management of the claim.

The results

Morgan Clark handled the entire claim and achieved a full settlement at just over £16,000. They also managed the re-instatement of the property.  According to Miss Fisher, “Morgan Clark did everything for me. At first it all seemed too good to be true but it turned out that using them was the best thing I could have done.”

Miss Fisher is delighted with the work carried out and her brother, who has recovered fully from his injuries, is now safely back in the house: “it was a good end to a terrible experience”

More Case Studies

Cambridge

Fire damage in thatched cottage

"Mr and Mrs Hampshire suffered a fire at their thatched cottage, which started in the middle of the night when the family were asleep. The accidental fire was caused by a lighter being ignited, which resulted in blankets and pillows catching fire and ..."

Read more

Cumbria

Flooded bakery in Kendal: £100,000 insurance claim for machinery, st...

"Ginger Bakers is a very successful specialist cake producer based in Kendal, Cumbria, supplying commercial outlets across the country. When Storm Desmond wreaked havoc across the north of England in December 2015, the bakery’s leased premises were ..."

Read more

Cumbria

Flooding at kitchen worktop manufacturer: £1.2 million claim

"Stoneworld is a very successful manufacturer of quartz and granite kitchen worktops, importing expensive materials from across the world and using sophisticated precision cutting machinery. Based in Kendal, Cumbria, it distributes its high-end produc..."

Read more

Carlisle

Using Morgan Clark a second time for flood insurance claim

"When the river Eden flooded in Carlisle in 2005, water poured through David Allen’s substantial five-bedroomed semi-detached home. There was extensive damage throughout the downstairs which was likely to result in an insurance claim of around £100..."

Read more

Doncaster

Flooding – £630,000 business interruption claim

"In 2007, the town of Doncaster was hit by two floods in very quick succession. A large trading estate was very badly affected, including a successful steel processing and stockholding company. Three of its industrial units on the estate were contamin..."

Read more

South Wales

Residential college fire – £1.5m buildings and contents claim

"When an electrical fault caused a major fire at the UWC Atlantic College in South Wales, one of the school’s boarding houses was almost completely destroyed. The College’s immediate priority was to re-house the 52 students who lived there, so it ..."

Read more