Fire in restaurant and flats – £190,000 cash settlement for landlord

Location Hampshire

Customer Mr P

The fire which broke out in the kitchen of a Greek restaurant in Hampshire, was described as an inferno. It raged for seven hours, with firefighters battling the flames and shoring up the building. The restaurant was completely gutted, and the five flats above were severely damaged. In addition, the Indian restaurant next door suffered superficial damage.

The entire building, including both restaurants, was owned by Mr P. As well as renting out the restaurants, he had also leased the flats to a local housing association. All tenants and residents had to move out.

Mr P knew he faced a very complicated insurance claim, with the additional problem of being under-insured. He felt very lonely and distressed and realised he needed professional help. He therefore turned to Morgan Clark to handle the entire claim for him.

The claim

Morgan Clark took over every aspect of the claim. This included dealing on Mr P’s behalf with all the parties involved: the insurance company and its loss adjuster; the housing association; the restaurateurs; and the tenants.

Morgan Clark’s experienced team of loss assessors were also very careful in the way they managed Mr P’s expectations for the settlement as he was under-insured. They worked hard to ensure he received the best possible settlement within the constraints of his policy.

The results

After a very difficult and delicate claim during which they worked closely with Mr P to explore the best way forward, Morgan Clark achieved a settlement of £190,000. This included the cost of re-instating the building and an element for loss of rent.

Mr P commented: “I have to say, from my heart, that Morgan Clark did a wonderful job. I couldn’t have done this by myself. I wouldn’t wish a fire on anyone but, if they did experience one, I would tell them to use the highly-professional services of Morgan Clark”.

Mr P has learnt from this experience and has now reviewed his insurance cover across all of his properties so that he is never faced with the problem of under-insurance again.

More Case Studies

Cambridge

Fire damage in thatched cottage

"Mr and Mrs Hampshire suffered a fire at their thatched cottage, which started in the middle of the night when the family were asleep. The accidental fire was caused by a lighter being ignited, which resulted in blankets and pillows catching fire and ..."

Read more

Cumbria

Flooded bakery in Kendal: £100,000 insurance claim for machinery, st...

"Ginger Bakers is a very successful specialist cake producer based in Kendal, Cumbria, supplying commercial outlets across the country. When Storm Desmond wreaked havoc across the north of England in December 2015, the bakery’s leased premises were ..."

Read more

Cumbria

Flooding at kitchen worktop manufacturer: £1.2 million claim

"Stoneworld is a very successful manufacturer of quartz and granite kitchen worktops, importing expensive materials from across the world and using sophisticated precision cutting machinery. Based in Kendal, Cumbria, it distributes its high-end produc..."

Read more

Carlisle

Using Morgan Clark a second time for flood insurance claim

"When the river Eden flooded in Carlisle in 2005, water poured through David Allen’s substantial five-bedroomed semi-detached home. There was extensive damage throughout the downstairs which was likely to result in an insurance claim of around £100..."

Read more

Doncaster

Flooding – £630,000 business interruption claim

"In 2007, the town of Doncaster was hit by two floods in very quick succession. A large trading estate was very badly affected, including a successful steel processing and stockholding company. Three of its industrial units on the estate were contamin..."

Read more

South Wales

Residential college fire – £1.5m buildings and contents claim

"When an electrical fault caused a major fire at the UWC Atlantic College in South Wales, one of the school’s boarding houses was almost completely destroyed. The College’s immediate priority was to re-house the 52 students who lived there, so it ..."

Read more