Winter floods: many insurance claims still not settled

June 6, 2016 6:28 am

In the wake of the terrible winter storms and floods, apparently 15,000 flood insurance claims have now been made. And according to the Association of British Insurers (ABI), 85 per cent of these have received partial or full payment of their claim. But what about the other 15 per cent – 2,250 claimants who so far have received absolutely nothing?

It’s absolutely heart-breaking when we visit people whose homes or businesses have been devastated by flooding. But when we speak to them in the immediate aftermath, many of them tell us they’re sure they’ll get all the help they need from their insurer and that their claim will be settled swiftly – and in many cases this does indeed happen. But all too often it’s not that simple and claimants face a terrible time. And the figures from the ABI support this.

One example of someone who has learnt from bitter experience that it’s not always straightforward is Mr Allen, who is a senior police officer. When his house in Carlisle was flooded in 2005, he decided to handle the claim himself and thought it would be settled quickly and effectively. But once he started on the process he slowly realised this was not going to happen and after months of delays he turned to us to take over his claim.

The key complication was that, despite having his buildings and contents insurance with the same insurer, different loss adjusters were handling these two separate claims. The contents claim loss adjuster was brilliant and this was settled quickly – but the buildings claim met with a mountain of disputes and hold ups.

Once we took over the claim and argued Mr Allen’s case, the loss adjuster agreed to everything.  According to Mr Allen, “having professional help meant we could step back from an emotionally-charged relationship. Morgan Clark had the technical knowledge and experience to make sure the right things were done. That’s all we wanted: we weren’t trying to rip anyone off.”

So when his home was flooded again in 2015, he didn’t hesitate to contact us again – and as a result he’s not one of those 2,250 who haven’t had their claim resolved.  You can read his story here.

If you’re one of those who are still facing issues with your flood claim, then don’t hesitate to get in touch with us.