Feefo badge

Safety in the kitchen

Apparently 60 per cent of accidentally fires in the home start in the kitchen – and this is reflected in many of the fire insurance claims we handle. The most frustrating thing is that so often these could have been prevented.

The London Fire Brigade has some very useful advice on safety in the kitchen, which can be read here. This is full of great tips, but it does leave out something which we think is very important. One of the most common causes we come across is leaving washing machines, tumble dryers or dishwashers on either overnight or when you’re out of the house.

The dangers of household appliances

A fire in one of these caused extensive damage to a house in London, and resulted in an insurance claim of £100,000. We’ve written a case study about it which shows how a small incident can lead to a major fire.

It’s often very convenient to put the dishwasher on before you go to bed, or put the washing on before you go out to work. Our advice, from some of our clients’ bitter experience, is: don’t do it.

Can we help you with your claim?

Find out in 60 seconds

Your claim is in safe hands

24/7 National Helpline

0197822864601978228646 Request a call back

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

Find out more here