Feefo badge

Long holidays may negate your home insurance

A recent case has highlighted the need to read the small print on your home insurance policy carefully. Many insurance policies stipulate when and for how long you may leave your property empty and, if you contravene this, they may refuse payment.

In particular, you must ensure you’re covered if you intend to be away soon after you move in to a property or if you are going on holiday for four weeks or more.

Mr & Mrs Mellors have owned a property in Cheshire for over 20 years but had been renting it to tenants while living abroad. They decided to come back permanently to the UK and moved into the house, but soon after went away for an extended holiday. While they were away the property was flooded.

Unfortunately their insurance policy stipulated that they were required to be “resident in the first instance for three months and thereafter for 40 weeks on average each year”. As a result, their insurer refused payment. The case has now gone to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

This case shows how important it is to study all policy documentation meticulously – and always assume that your insurer will follow it to the letter. If you have to make a claim and need advice on an insurance policy, then call Morgan Clark immediately. Our team of insurance claims management specialists will give you professional, unbiased and honest advice on the likely success of your claim. Read more about our services by visiting here.

Can we help you with your claim?

Find out in 60 seconds

Your claim is in safe hands

24/7 National Helpline

0197822864601978228646 Request a call back

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

Find out more here