Swinton Insurance has published a useful guide to ensure your home is fully winter-proofed before the really cold weather sets in:
- Clean out gutters and check the roof: leaky roofs or blocked drains may not be covered by buildings insurance.
- Check insulation in the loft.
- Get your boiler serviced: this only costs between £50 and £80 for a standard boiler. And consider putting thermostatic radiator valves in individual rooms.
- Put foam insulation strips on windows and draught excluders on doors: this can keep the house warm and also prevent damp problems.
- Insulate pipes to prevent them freezing. And make sure everyone in the house knows the location of the stop cock in case of emergencies.
- If you are leaving the house for any time, keep the heating on low to maintain the warmth of the property and avoid pipes freezing.