Read our COVID 19 notice here Covid-19 Business Interruption Insurance Claim Advice

What is the difference between a Loss Adjuster and a Loss Assessor?

If it’s the first time you have to make an insurance claim, there’s so much to take on board. Part of this is working out who does what in the claims process. One of the most difficult things to understand is the difference between Loss Adjusters and Loss Assessors.

Loss Adjusters and Loss Assessors are both insurance claim professionals, however, there is one key difference in their roles during the insurance claim process:

  • Loss Adjusters are employed by the insurance company but they are supposed to remain independent.
  • Loss Assessors work for you, the policyholder. They are independent professionals who are employed by you to protect your interests.

Free Insurance Claim Advice Helpline

We are still helping people progress their claims remotely during the COVID-19 lockdown


For free advice call us today:

0808 278 4788


A Loss Adjuster’s job is to adjust the claim presented to them by the policyholder or their Loss Assessor. The Loss Adjuster is paid by the insurer to decide what will be paid for – and what will not.

An independent Loss Assessor, such as Morgan Clark, will take over the responsibility to compile and present your insurance claim. We will deal with the insurer’s Loss Adjuster on your behalf, and will protect your interests every step of the way so you receive the very best settlement under the terms of your insurance policy.

Here Phil Morgan explains the difference between a Loss Assessor and Loss Adjuster in his own words…

It is important to engage an independent Loss Assessor as early as possible in the claims process. Morgan Clark regularly represent home owners, landlords and business owners. To follow is a basic outline of the services we provide…

For residential and landlord policyholders:

  • Full claims management by a dedicated professional who will always be your single point of contact.
  • Organising emergency repairs and securing your property.
  • Helping to find alternative accommodation for you and your family or tenant, if necessary.
  • Bringing in experts to assess the damage to your property and to ensure it is re-instated to the highest standards.
  • Compiling your contents and buildings claims.
  • Negotiating the type of settlement you want.

For commercial policyholders:

  • Full claims management by a dedicated professional who will always be your single point of contact.
  • Organising emergency repairs and securing your property.
  • Securing liability acceptance with your insurer as quickly as possible to avoid delays.
  • Finding alternative office, factory, warehouse or appropriate premises.
  • Negotiating interim payments to cover emergency funding, replacement plant and equipment, and re-stocking.
  • Calculating the full losses for your business interruption claim, including loss of profit and increased cost of working.
  • Compiling your contents and buildings claims.

Having experienced an insurance claim from start to finish, our client, Mr Buck, made the following comments:

“…the insurance company’s response when I contacted them was woefully inadequate. The contrast when Morgan Clark got involved was immense. I was assisted all the way and Pino especially used his knowledge of landlords requirements to tailor the works to my benefit.” – Mr Buck

Can we help you with your claim?

Find out in 60 seconds

Popular Questions

How much will this cost?-

In the majority of cases we are able to represent our clients without charging a fee at all. Read how we are able to offer our services free of charge by clicking here.

Doesn’t my insurance company manage my claim?+

While many insurance companies will support you in the initial weeks of your claim, their only responsibility is to ensure costs are covered to restore your property and replace damaged contents, stock, machinery etc. (if applicable). As your claim progresses, you will be left with the most stressful and time consuming day-to-day elements to organise and oversee alone if you do not appoint a Loss Assessor.

What’s the difference between a Loss Assessor and a Loss Adjuster?+

Loss Assessors and Loss Adjusters are both insurance claim professionals, but there is one key difference in their role during the insurance claim process; a Loss Assessor is appointed by and works exclusively for the policyholder, while a Loss Adjuster is appointed and paid by the insurance company. Loss Adjusters are expected to remain independent. Read more about the difference between Loss Assessors and Loss Adjusters here.

What will my insurance company think if I appoint a Loss Assessor?+

There is no reason why your insurance company or Loss Adjuster should discourage you from appointing your own Loss Assessor. If your Loss Adjuster is trying to dissuade you from using our services, you should question why they are against the idea of you being equally represented. After all, a Loss Assessor can only help a policyholder claim for what is legally within their insurance contract. Click here to read more about Loss Adjusters.

Video testimonials

See more video testimonials

Customer reviews

Despite all the assurances from both my broker and insurer that they had made me the best possible offer, you were still able to secure a settlement that was more than double the figures they had originally proposed. I had no idea bringing you on board would make such a big difference to the settlement.

I won’t hesitate to call you. Thanks again for the great service.

Lord Alan Sugar

See more customer reviews

24/7 National Helpline

0197822864601978228646 Request a call back

Your claim is in safe hands